Saturday, April 20, 2013

Staying Fit In 2013

Our family has been running together for three years now. We’ve all run the TCM twice (full, half, and 5 K), a few Warrior Dash runs, a few Rock-n-Roll runs, the Resolution run, Valentine’s Day Dash, and the F5 St. Patrick's Day Dash. In October 2012, while running a six mile obstacle course, I fell from and obstacle and broke two ribs at the two mile mark. Of course I finished the last four miles because I don't believe in quitting or giving up.

The run and two broken ribs cost me a lot including a trip to Indonesia, a few months of scuba teaching, and of course no running or any serious work outs until my ribs healed. As 2013 approached, Steve and I decided to switch gears a bit. We did some reading and picked a few marathons and running events that would be more meaningful or fun.

Our first marathon this year is the Tacoma City Marathon on Sunday, May 5th. We've run the half twice, but decided it was time to run the full marathon this year to celebrate with our fellow Maniacs in this 10th year anniversary of the TCM. They changed the course for the marathon this year, “flattening it out,” but Tacoma is not flat and no matter how hard you try to find a flat course, it’s still an up and down hill city.

Spartan Race
Spartan Race
In August, we are going to set aside our long distance running shoes to run the Pacific Northwest Spartan Race on Saturday, August 3rd. Steve, Sean, Taylor, Adam, and I are running as the Foolish Five. We are hoping that Danielle, Tiffany, Joel, and Gabe will be there cheering us on as the boys push me up and over every obstacle.

Marine Corp Marathon
Marine Corp Marathon
On Sunday, October 27th, Steve and I will travel to Washington DC to run in the Marine Corp Marathon. As some of you know, my dad is a Marine, and he's a pretty special man to me. I'm so proud of everything he's done in his life, and I'll be taking all of the strength he’s given me to DC to run this marathon. We know it will be an emotional run with our wonderful military service men and women lining the route, but with my dad’s strength and my husband’s encouragement, I’m going to try to set a personal best at this run.

As an added bonus, both Steve and I will be running to raise donations for the Semper Fi Fund. Please consider making a Tax-deductible contribution to our efforts today. Every donation, both large and small, is truly meaningful, and you have the power to make a real difference in an injured or critically ill service member’s life.
SemperFi Fund
SemperFi Fund

Route 66 Marathon
Route 66
Marathon
Our final run of the year will be the Route 66 Marathon.  Steve likes the look of the finishers medal, so this run will be one of our “for fun” runs. In the cold of November, we will travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma to run this marathon. Doesn't this sound a little crazy? Let’s travel in the winter to a very cold location to run 26.2 miles for fun so that we can pick up one of the coolest looking finishers medals.
Hopefully, this schedule will help us reach our goals of fitness, fun, and time spent together.

No comments:

Post a Comment